We would like to publicise the help available from South Norfolk Council and Norfolk County Council regarding the ongoing Free School Meals situation, and details of how families in South Norfolk can seek support during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Please share this post if you can, in case others in your network might need to access the support.

The South Norfolk Help Hub

Cabinet at South Norfolk Council has put together the following statement regarding the ongoing Free School Meals situation, and details of how families in South Norfolk can seek support from the Early Help Hub:

We recognise that sometimes people needed a little extra assistance and we have worked hard over many years to set up community projects such as Community Fridges and our Connectors service. Through this service, ‘Community Connectors’ from South Norfolk Council’s early Help Hub are posted to GP surgeries across the district to offer support to people before they are in crisis.

But we don’t just restrict ourselves to helping those with children. Your local council has a well-established support network in place and during this pandemic, we have distributed thousands of food parcels and hardship payments to families in all situations.

We are already working to provide additional help to residents who receive council tax support and housing benefit, but our job is to be there for all families, regardless of circumstances,

remembering especially that it is often those with the quietest voices that may need the most help.

Some only need us to solve a small temporary problem, some need longer term assistance. If you need help or know someone who does, it’s easy to get in touch.

Here’s how:

  • visit our website for information about our Help Hub and Community Connectors
  • use the online request form
  • phone us on 01508 533933
  • text ADVICE to 07860 017323
  • visit your GP who will put you in contact
  • ask your District Councillor who can signpost you to someone
  • who can help.


The Norfolk Assistance Scheme

Norfolk County Council have been provided substantial funds which they have placed within the Norfolk Assistance Scheme, information for which can be found on the following website – https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/care-support-and-health/support-for-living-independently/money-and-benefits/norfolk-assistance-scheme

There are various ways to access the fund on that website, but residents can also access this fund is either by simply calling the Help Hub on 01508 533933 or by contacting the community connector. My understanding is that these are found here for South Norfolk: https://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/residents/communities/community-connectors